This page has select video recordings of teach-ins from the 2013-14 Sunflower Alliance speakers series as well as the keynote speaker for the 350 BayArea DIrty Energy Clean Energy conference, Stanford University’s Dr. Marc Jacobson. Film clips from the Sunlfower Alliance forums (shown below) feature the following speakers: Antonia Juhasz (investigative reporter, oil industry analyst and author); Greg Karras (refinery specialist and senior scientist with CBE); Marilaine Savaard (spokesperson from the Lac Megantic Citizens Committee); Diane Bailey (senior scientist, Natural Resources Defence Council); Mayor Gayle McLaughlin of the City of RIchmond; Pennie Opal Plant (Idle No More) and, last but not least, community activists Marilyn Bardet (Benicia), George and Lyana Monterey (Pittsburg) and Nancy Rieser (Crockett/Rodeo)
- A MOMENT OF INSPIRATION FROM THE 2014 GOLDMAN ENVIRONMENTAL AWARDS (San Francisco)
THE ROBERT KENNEDY JR KEYNOTE SPEECH: For 25 years the Goldman family has been honoring grassroots environmental activists from all over the world. This year, Kennedy opened the awards ceremony. His voice was hoarse but his words and spirit were passionate. Kennedy pulled no punches and basically blew the top off the Opera House.
For all of you battle-weary activists out there, take heart! There ARE folks out there — no different from you or me — who fight the Davy and Goliath battles and prevail!
- SUNFLOWER ALLIANCE CRUDE BY RAIL COMMUNITY FORUMS
Sunflower Alliance sponsored educational forums in Berkeley, Martinez, Pittsburg and Richmond informed the public about the dangers of crude by rail and the local refinery expansion projects, namely: Chevron (Richmond), Phillips 66 (Rodeo) Valero (Benicia) and Wespac (Pittsburg). Below are links that will give you access to speaker content from the Sunflower Alliance forums in both RIchmond and in Berkeley. These film clips are really the next best thing to being there!
To see presentations made by the 5 people below (filmed at the Bobby Bowens Center in RIchmond), click here http://www.sunflower-alliance.org/video_clips_forum_on_crude_by_rail
- Antonia Juhasz (leading oil industry analyst, author of Black Tide: The Devastating Impact of the Gulf Oil Spill and The Tyranny of Oil: The World’s ,Most Powerful Industry – and What We Must Do To Stop It)
- Marilaine Savaard (spokesperson for the Citizens Committee of Lac-Megantic Quebec, site of the devasting oil train explosion that wiped out the center of town and claimed 47 lives)
- Gayle McClaughlin (City of RIchmond Mayor who has taken on Chevron)
- George Monterrey (a community organizer from the Pittsburg Ethics Council, one of two organizations who have taken on the Wespac infrastructure project)
- Pennie Opal Plant (Idle No More, SF Bay Solidarity and the Connect the Dots Refinery Corridor Healing Walks)
To see presentations made by the 5 people below (filmed at the Berkeley Ecology Center) click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgpCKeWaLhk&list=PLpBEkz110SpOb-DDgp70S6Cd6swBTBoA0&index=2
- Greg Karras (senior scientist from Communities for a Better Environment/CBE)
- Marilyn Bardet (Community Activist from Benicia, fighting the Valero project)
- Diane Bailey (senior scientist, Natural Resources Defense Council)
- Lyana Monterrey (activist, Pittsburg Defence Council organzing around the WesPac infrastructure project)
- Nancy Rieser (activist from Crockett, one of many folks dealing with the Phillips 66 project in Rodeo)
If you keep watching…you will see more clips from a “Call to Action” sponsored by the group, Benicians for a Safe and Healthy Community.
- WATCH THIS SPACE FOR KEYNOTE SPEECH BY STANFORD PROFESSOR MARC JACOBSON AT MAY 2014 THE DIRTY ENERGY/CLEAN SOLUTIONS CLIMATE CONFERENCE IN THE SF BAY AREA
While we wait for the presentation to go up on the web, enjoy this video of David Letterman interviewing the professor! Click the link below to watch the Late Show segment.